Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Almond Cherry Pie

Wednesday, July 31, 2013



Over this last 4th of July, I had a surplus of cherries.  How did this happen you ask?  Well, I was coming back through Dallas on my way to Joplin, and so you just know I HAD to stop at the happiest place on earth...





Central Market.  It's like Disney Land yo.

Anyway, I bought a bunch of cherries along with a bunch of other delicious goodies...I swear, I can never have a short cheap Central Market stop.  It's a problem really...

Moving on...

While I was away, my mom was here in town watching the kids.  And little did I know, but SHE had decided to go to the store and pick up a bunch of cherries herself.

So I had like 4 pounds of cherries.  I ate as many as I could before they started turning dark.  Not going bad, but getting darker and sweeter than I like for snacking.  I knew it was only a matter of time before they went south and I hate the idea of wasting food.  So, not being too creative, I decided to make them into a pie.  Because I've never made a cherry pie, or even had one that wasn't made from canned filling.  Also because I like making pies.  It's one of my favorite things to bake.

I didn't expect to like it really.  Maybe it's because I've only had the kind someone makes with a premade crust and canned filling.

Holy geez!!  A cherry pie made with fresh cherries has to be obe of the most delicous things in the world!  And since I like to spice it up just little bit, I added a bit of subtle almond to it.  Amazing.  It disappeared in one day and that's a first even for me.

Almond Cherry Pie

Best Pie Crust Ever

2 pounds sweet dark cherries, pitted
1 cup sugar
3 TBSP corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

heavy cream

Make your crust per directions.  (psssst....click the link above for the instructions).  While your dough chills in the fridge, turn your oven on.  425.

Whisk your sugar, corn starch, salt, lemon juice, and extracts together in a large bowl.  Add your cherries and toss to coat.  Set aside.

When your crust is chilled, roll it out and get your bottom crust situated in your pie plate.  (again, click the link above for more detailed instructions).  Fill your crust with your cherries.  Then place your top crust on in any pattern you choose.  I did another lattice. A true lattice this time...because it's cherry pie and how can I not?

Get your pastry brush and brush the heavy whipping cream over your crust.

Put your pie on a rimmed baking sheet and place in your oven.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Then (without opening your oven) turn it down to 375 and bake for another hour.

Then it's done.  Let it sit a while before cutting into it.  I like to let it cool to just warm, cut a slice, and top with ice cream.  Yum








2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds incredible!! Fresh fruit pies are my all time favorite!! Thanks for sharing.

Natalie Puikkonen said...

This is the same way my mother always made cherry pie while growing up. We had a cherry tree and I love home made cherry pie. Pie filling from a can no no no. Nothing beats a real cherry pie!

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios