Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Peppermint Smoothie" Cupcakes

Wednesday, February 15, 2012
For Valentine's Day yesterday, Sophie wanted to make a birthday cake for Daddy.  I tried to explain to her that Daddy's birthday was over, but she is the kid that still says "Merry Christmas" every night before she goes to sleep.  So, you can guess how that conversation went.

So I made a compromise, and told her we would make Daddy Valentine's birthday cupcakes.



I give you the "Peppermint Smoothie" cupcake.  A white Chocolate cupcake with a "peppermint smoothie" frosting.

This will be easier if I just start out by telling you about my inspiration for these...


These are Peppermint Smoothies from Candy House, a local chocolate company here in town.  I think they also have a location in Springfield, but I'm pretty sure they started here in Joplin. 
Anyway, I'm addicted.  Little morsels of white chocolate with peppermint and MAGIC!  Why the call it "Smoothie" I will never know.  Perhaps because it melts away in your mouth with a smooth buttery texture....

I better stop before I break my diet...

So I decided to try and recreate the magic in cupcake form.  And I dare say, by George, I think I've done it...



"Peppermint Smoothie" Frosting

3 sticks salted butter
1 8oz block of cream cheese
4 oz white chocolate
2 lb bag confectioners sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
heavy cream

In your mixer, cream butter till smooth.  Next, cream butter and cream cheese together.  Melt white chocolate in the microwave till melted (about 1 minute, stirring every 30 sec).  Pour melted chocolate into butter mixture and mix till thoroughly blended.  Add vanilla, peppermint extract, and salt.  Add confectioners sugar till well incorporated.  Add heavy cream as needed until desired consistency is achieved.

Yes, that's right, I said salted butter.

Believe me, I have no doubt that the secret to this frosting recipe is the salt.  Don't go overboard by any means, but this frosting needs to be on the edge to balance the peppermint.  The Peppermint Smoothie squares themselves have that slight edge of perfectly balanced salt that makes them completely craveable. So don't be afraid of the salted butter.  In this case, it is your friend.  Brings out the flavor, and cuts the sweetness a little.  If your still afraid of the salt, then omit the added 1/2 tsp of salt, but really please stick to the salted butter.   



Now, I have to drop the rest of these off somewhere, or else I will have another one for breakfast...

Links to this post:



5 comments:

Paula said...

The cupcakes are pretty and I'm sure delicious with that *peppermint smoothie* flavour. Your little Sophie is too cute in wanting to make her Daddy birthday cakes.

ilovecooking said...

These cupcakes look really good. Your pictures are awesome. I love peppermint, and can't believe that I can eat it now in cupcake form. I wish they had a local chocolate store where I'm from that sells those peppermint smoothies. You're so lucky!

Your daughter sounds so adorable. Kids are just the sweetest. Thanks to you and her for creating this recipe!

chattipati said...

I copied your recipe for the Peppermint Smoothie frosting which sounds heavenly! You indicated you weed going to post the recipe for the White Chocolate Cupcakes, however, I have not seen it. Did I miss it?! It sounds like a wonderful combination with the Pepperming Smoothie Frosting!

Alison said...

i do plan on posting the recipe for those cupcakes, it's on the list! I just wanted to get the frosting recipe out there because I was so excited about it. In the mean time, use a white cake recipe and drop some white chocolate chips in the mix. yummy!! :)

Anonymous said...

I just wondered if you still planned on posting the cupcake recipe. Maybe? Because, you know, they look and sound delicious.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios