Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Birthday Lemon Creme Brulee

Wednesday, February 8, 2012
My husbands birthday was this weekend (hence my absence from the interweb...)

And I was going to make his standard cake: yellow butter with chocolate icing.

But then I ended up throwing a dinner party (that I wish I would have taken pictures of but I was so busy running around that the opportunity evaporated as quickly as it came).  Anyway, I asked him what dessert he wanted at his party and he said creme brulee.....




Yes, let's just start by pointing out that I have never made creme brulee.  I haven't even really had a lot of creme brulee before at restaurants.  When that dessert menu comes along I'm opting for whatever chocolate is on the menu.   So in short, I'm no creme brulee expert.  

However, I do enjoy a challenge.  We had just gone to Dallas the previous weekend and I couldn't resist picking up a ton a modest few meyers lemons,  Anyway, I was dying to use them in something.  So I googled.

Google is my boyfriend.  He gives me everything I need as soon as I ask.

Mamma likes.

I found this lemon creme brulee recipe from Bon Apetit.  I subscribe to Bon Apetit.  I haven't tried too many things from Bon Apetit that I DIDN'T love with all my taste buds.  So sure, why not.  Let's give it a shot.

I have to say that it's WAY easier than I thought it would be.  Time consuming, but really very easy.  (Except for the part where I forgot to add the vanilla before pouring it into the ramekins and then I had to pour them all out and add it and then re-pour.....but I think that's just me).  

Again, I am no creme brulee expert.  However, my husband and his family is....and they said it was up there as one of the bests.  It's a very creamy creme brulee - not an eggy custard.  So I'm thinking ....high five.

It's already in my recipe book, and I'm enjoying some as we speak....yum!


Make it!  Like now!  And then come over and I'll help you eat it....if I must.  :)


Links to this post:

2 comments:

sandie said...

Mmmm... I love meyer lemons! this looks great

Paula said...

Beautiful results on your first try at creme brulee. Using your lemons to make this was a great idea. So glad your *boyfriend* Google came through for you. Happy belated birthday wishes to your husband ;)

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios